I am embarking on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

March 22, 2024

Retirement Day 2024

And so begins the next chapter...turned in my computer and badge this morning.  Those being two of the main tools of white collar work.  Now off to begin the Children International charity ride.

In particular, while I have enjoyed the last few years of my career primarily based on the colleagues with whom I worked, I am excited to take on this next adventure.  

And I am excited to launch off to the next 4 months/17K miles, I will miss my wife and our 3 fur babies.  





March 23, 2024

Last trial pack of the bike.  Just need to confirm documents to enter Mexico.  So that I will have peace of mind when I leave the bike parked and wander off, you can see the metal netting that is also locked to the bike.  Not a perfect solution, but I expect that it will deter opportunists.


March 25, 2024
As I contemplate the last 2 dues before I launch off on Friday, and I continue to look at the impending weather, I am reminded of this quote by by the Scottish poet Robert Burns. When I was planning this ride, I thought for sure that by the beginning of April, here in California, it would be reliably not raining. However, at the moment, it looks like it will be raining at least for the first 4 to 5 days of the ride.



A little about my travels, over the course of the 4 months, I expect to camp when the weather and availability permit, cheap hotels/motels when it's too cold or raining, and as I have mentioned there are friends in 10 states and 2 Canadian provinces.  Finally I am hoping that I might find hosts in the Bunk-a-Biker, ADV Tent Space, and Biker Bunks networks.

Coincidentally I found this video about Bunk-a-Biker on Youtube today.  It's a bit long, but it describes why people/riders like myself do this both from the point of view of the host and the bunkee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel