Lynyrd Skynyrd Memorial

have embarked on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

April 28, 2024

Lynyrd Skynyrd Memorial

I've arrived Spanish Fort, Alabama 5,383 miles from home.  Left Natchez, MS 9ish and about an hour later, I arrived at the Lynyrd Skynyrd Memorial Site outside Magnolia, MS.  Just like the visit to the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue in Austin, a tragic story about talented people that made meaningful contributions to blues rock and southern rock.

On October 20, 1980, (three days after releasing their Street Survivor album), their chartered plane carrying 24 passengers and 2 crew members ran out of fuel over a densely wooded area of Mississippi and crash landed.  The 2 crew members and 3 members of the band, including lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, and Cassie Gaines and their tour manager perished.  The memorial site is close to the crash site in Amite county MS.  A sad day.








-



Got rained on a bit.  This ride east was to get ahead of the rain that is forecasted to last 2 to 3 days.  I might get a little rain as I head into Florida to Panama City to stay with my Boy Scout patrol leader that I met when I joined Boy Scouts at 11 years old Mark White and his wife Kim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel