Texas: Marfa Prada, San Angelo, Llano

have embarked on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

April 20, 2024

El Cosmico


Guided tour of my lodging


Here's the gas fed firepit in the teepee.










Brief Tour of El Cosmico


Marfa Prada 









San Angelo, Texas



Chicken Farm Art Center


Llano, Texas

The reason that I rode to Llano, Texas is that during my planning stage, Iindicated on a FB page relating to the type of motorcycle Ihave that I was planning a retirement ride and that I'd be passing through Texas.  In response to that, a dude named Mikey Mayor invited me to Llano to stay with him and attend the Llano Crawfish Festival.

I arrived at the Llano County Community Center, where Mikey indicated that I should meet him.  I got there and didn't see anyone in the parking lot.  Eventually I saw an older dude walking towards me.  As he approached, I asked him if he knew Mikey Mayor, and he responded, "Is he a gypsy?"  And I thought, "well a gypsy, aren't they folks that wander around in Europe?"  And I responded, ¨Well, no, I don't think so."  And he laughed and responded, "No, I don't know him."  
Just then, Mikey Mayor exited the building and we hugged in greeting.  And below explains the "gypsy" question.                                                         


Mikey Mayor, President of the Gypsy Llano Chapter

Llano, Texas 3,605 mile from home.  The ride out of San Angelo started out as desert, but about a third into the ride the terrain changed to rolling hills and pastures with wild flowers bordering the road.  The road was nice and smooth and well maintained and clear of any litter.  Which I have noticed everywhere that I have ridden in Texas.  

Texas Wildflowers





I met him and his MC club, the Gypsys and hung with them for a night and everyone was super welcoming and we chatted about our rides and our bikes late into the night.  On Friday, after breakfast, for a few hours I helped out by serving corn along with other volunteers serving brisket, sausage, BBQ sauce, potatoes, beans, and of course piles of crawfish.  The rain, or the anticipation of bad rain got the best of me and I decided to ride onto my next destination near Dallas before the storm let loose.  I thanked Mikey and his club for welcoming me with open arms and explained if he ecer makes it to Califoernia, he has a place to stay.




Shotgun 4, the Gypsy mascot.

Mikey and I rode out to Castell to catch a little local Texas countryside flavor.





Texas small town art





Llano Crawfish Festival

Brief Tour

All about crawfish...
Zydeco band rocking out

Gypsy MC Club Lifer (He was the potato server)

Crawfish ready to be boiled



So after healping out as a Crawfish food server, I bolted to my good friends Kim &Larry's house in Flower Mound, a suburb of Dallas.  I beat the rain and it came as thunder storms the following day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel