Leaving Minnesota to South Dakota: Changing Terrential Rain for Oppresive Heat/Humidity and Flood Remnants (June 24, 2024)

Mitchell, South Dakota
June 24, 2024

I've arrived Willmar, Minnesota 11,240 miles from home.  Yesterday, I rode 60 miles through the worst rain of my life.  By the time I arrived I could barely see through the visor and the rain running off my rain jacket was pooling in my seat and apparently there is a leak in the seam of my rain pants.  Some might ask, why didn’t you pull over?  Easy, no place to pull over, just open countryside.  I was greeted by Keith, my Bunk-a-Biker host who already had the garage door open for me to pull into the safety of the garage.  Keith and Cherry welcomed me into their home and gave me the opportunity to dry out my gear and wash my clothes.  The rain stopped less than an hour after my arrival and an hour after that, Keith and I rode a 100 miles around the countryside around Willmar!  He toured back into Willmar and we enjoyed a beer at Intuition Brewery where I met Sarah and Eric, two of Cherry's kids.

Today, it was sunny, hot and humid, and Keith led me down to Jeffers Petroglyphs for another 160 mile round trip, and I just passed 11,500 miles.  All along the way we rode passed fields with low spots that were flooded.

Cherry works at the local radio station and has arranged for me to be interviewed concerning the Children International charity ride.

Then I'll head mostly west as the Bunk-a-Biker that I was going to stay at in Sioux Falls messaged me 2 days ago and indicated that there was extensive flooding and lots of closed roads in the area and maybe I should not go to Sioux Falls.  Then yesterday she messaged and cancelled because her daughter’s house was flooded and they needed help and so they could not host me.  So I am headed to the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota.



Keith and Cherry, my hosts in Willmar, Minnesota 



Cherry arranged for an interview at KWLM radio where she works.  JP Cola interviewed me.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel