Almost Port Alberni, BC (July 23, 2024)

have embarked on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

Almost Port Albneri, BC but really Duncan, BC
July 23, 2024


I've did arrive Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC 16,317 miles from home and 1,122 to home.  I woke up various times during the night in anticipation of my 6:30AM wake up time to catch the 9:00AM ferry.  Finally at 3:30am I woke and could not go back to sleep, so I decided to catch the 6:30AM ferry.  After a Google Maps error on my part taking me to the passenger terminal rather than the ferry ramps, I got to the toll booth and in line as the first of 5 motorcycles to board.  Easy ferry ride to Nanaimo, BC, an hour and 40 minutes and we're off to our destinations. 


I hiked to the Qualicom Falls, steep but a very short hike and the Port Alberni Museum was a little odd in that all the displays were poorly lit. 


Fake Camping: I got to the Arrowvale campgrounds outside Port Alberni and realized that it was nothing special and my site was out in the sun, no shade, gravel base, just not thrilled, no view of what I thought would be a river as I chose a site that according to the campgrounds map appeared to be on the river.


And so, given that I'm Jonesing to get home and that to catch the 10:30AM ferry tomorrow from Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA would be a challenge in that the transit from Port Alberni to Victoria is more than 3 hours, I thought to choose to be flexible and Fake Camp at Arrowvale and find a place closer to Victoria in which to stay tonight.  I’ll be in Duncan, BC, just 90 minutes from the ferry in Victoria, BC.  

So in reality, I’ve arrived Duncan, Vancouver Island, BC 16,405 miles from home and 1,034 miles to home.  I will catch the 10:30AM ferry tomorrow and stay at a Buk-a-Biker host in Elma, WA.  Yeeha!  I am homeward bound!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel