Durango, Colorado, I'm struggling with my focus

have embarked on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

I've arrived in Durango, Colorado, 13,976 miles from home looking at the route that I took since March 29, and I'm 1,040 miles home looking towards California.  As you might perceive by that first documenting of mileage to home, that in addition to this endeavor and mission for Children International, I recognize a calling back home.  And while I thought that the “rain avoidance” strategy that I have been employing since mid-May in Florida might have shortened my 17,000 goal for Children International, it looks like from here, at almost 14Kmiles, that I will likely exceed 17K miles before I get back to my wife Charlene Phan and our furbabies.

Today there was a road closure because of a 4 vehicle accident.  Initially, it looked like a several hour closure, or a reroute of 4 hours after already riding 4 hours.  Fortunately, there were only minor injuries in the accident and we were only delayed 25 minutes.  Riding here in Colorado includes riding over many mountain passes with nice gusty winds and beautiful sights.



Tomorrow, since I rerouted in the very beginning of my ride to avoid rain in California, Arizona, and Utah, I will head to the Four Corners Monument tomorrow morning, which is southwest of Durango before I head north to Green River, Utah for a LONG day of 285 miles.  And since I'll be looking at high 90s for much of the ride through Utah, I expect to leave Durango early, like maybe 6:00AM on the road.



I was going to camp out at the Durango Harley Davidson property as it is well publisized that they allow for moto-camping on their property and that there is a micro brewery adjacent to their property in which you can "access" beer, food, and bathrooms.  However, in addition to it being in the low 90s and humid, the brewery was closed on Sundays.  So I decided to stay at the Junction Hotel and Hostel for $42.  It has a POOL!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel