Wyoming is Different!

have embarked on what I hope will be a 4 month, 17,000 mile motorcycle ride through the US and parts of Mexico and Canada to visit family and friends and to benefit Children International.  Please consider supporting me – learn more here Will's Charity Ride for Children International - PledgeIt

Riding this morning from Buffalo, WY to Ten Sleep, WY, I rode about 67 miles through the mountains.  I saw snow, but didn't video it, in the mountains, and you can see what else was unique about this portion of the ride.


51F! 


46F!


42F!

Super dark clouds, I stopped, leaned against a sign post to balance (this is an exercise best done with a chair as my boots are bulky and difficult to get thorugh the rain pants) and put on my rain gear which helped against the cold and potential rain.  Didn't rain!

And while the temperature dropped at the summit to 42F, down in the valley where Ten Sleep is located, the temperature rose back to a comfortable 68F.  

Even though the population of Ten Sleep is just 246, elevation 4,206 feet, there is WiFi in the cafe and in the bar.  The WiFi in the cafe is better than in my home in Sunnyvale, super upload speed which is what I need to uplaod the large Inst360 video files.  It is one reason that you don't see many of those video any more as the opportunities to upload them are few and far between.


Dropping down into Ten Sleep canyon in the Bighorn Mountains, between Buffalo, WY and Ten Sleep, WY reach significant elevations. The highest point in the Bighorn Mountains is Cloud Peak, which stands at 13,167 feet  above sea level. 


Arrival in Ten Sleep, Wyoming

The name "Ten Sleep" originates from the Native American practice of measuring distance and travel time in "sleeps," or the number of nights spent traveling. Ten Sleep, Wyoming, was located at a significant crossroads used by various tribes, particularly the Sioux, Cheyenne, and Crow, as they traveled between major geographical points.

Here's also what is different about Wyoming, for me on this ride!!!  96 days into this ride and this is the FIRST time I am camping outside!  Prior to this I sent up my gar inside buildings.



'Specifically, Ten Sleep was ten days' journey, or "ten sleeps," from important locations such as Fort Laramie to the southeast and the Yellowstone area to the northwest. This method of measurement highlights the historical significance of the location as a rest stop and meeting point for Native American tribes long before it became a modern settlement.



I'm here in Ten Sleep just relaxing and enjoying the sunny day.  I am looking forward to my first actual camping after all these miles and days since March.

Tomorrow, I am off to Casper, WY via Thermopolis and the dinosaur museum and the hot springs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown to March 29 Launch

Videos Part II

Hidalgo del Parral, Guachochi, Batopilas, Creel